19 August 2010

New Fivefingers have arrived: Initial impressions

I was like a kid on Christmas morning when I got home today to find my new Vibram Fivefinger KSO Treks waiting for me.  As my attempts at repair of my worn-through KSOs were just a stopgap, I was really looking forward to trying the treks, with their leather uppers and thicker soles, out for a bit.

My initial reaction to the aesthetics was very positive, as was my wife's, daughter's, a family friend's and the dog's.  They certainly are the most "conservative" Fivefingers and will draw less attention in public.  Honestly, my biggest concerns were around the leather and the soles, so I immediately decided to try them on and walk around a bit to test them out.

First, I replaced one of my original KSOs with one of the Treks.  I have to say that the fit of the Treks is much more glove-like and they are tougher to slip on due to the fact that the leather doesn't stretch as readily as the nylon on the KSOs.  Once I got the shoe on, I noticed that it has a completely different feel on the foot that the standard KSOs do.  My initial reaction was that it felt heavier and more constricting.  I took a walk around the house with one of each type on and it is a totally different foot-feel to the Treks.  The thicker sole certainly doesn't transmit as much tactile information, but it doesn't feel bad, just different.

I then put on both of the Treks and I have been wearing them for an hour or so.  They seem to be adjusting to my feet as I wear them and I am getting used to the change in foot-feel.  I would have to say that, initially, I am very positive about them but I would really like to see how they are on breathability and over the long-haul.  With this pair, I might try out some of the toe socks that REI sells as these are much more useable for casual wear in public and I really don't want them to be all funky...

I'll post some pics and will do further reviews as the situation dictates or as I think of worthwhile (fsvo "worthwhile") things to say...

Hope this was of use.

tldr:  Vibram Fivefinger KSO Treks feel more shoe-like, initial impressions still very positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment