02 May 2010

To Build a Better Burger.

Through the ages, there has been much debate as to the makeup of the "ultimate burger".  To be honest, I thought I had stumbled upon the secret, which I was convinced was the "Ultimate Burger" (we shall hereafter simply call it UB), in fact I had made what I thought to be the UB last night for the family after a long day of yard work.

The burger formerly known as UB was quite simple.  You mix equal parts high-quality 85/15 ground beef (grass-fed if you can get it) and ground buffalo (again, go high-quality here).  You mince 2 cloves of garlic, add a good pinch of sea salt and a few turns of the pepper mill and mix it all up.  Make up some 1/2 pound patties and toss them on a 400° grill  over high flame and put a few dashes of worcestershire sauce on each burger.  Cook for 4 minutes on the first side, flip, put on more worcestershire and cook for 3 minutes on the second side.  Move the burger off the direct heat, toss on some cheese and leave the lid closed for about a minute, until the cheese is melted.  Don't you dare serve this on a wonder bread hamburger bun.  Get a high quality onion roll or something.  Have some class.

Sounds good, doesn't it?

It is good, real good.  However, I have discovered something better...

Okay, now when I tell you this, if you aren't alone in the room, do not indicate that you have been made privy to this secret.  What?  What do you mean how do you not make them privy?  I don't know...  Read casually.

Okay, here it is...

You ready?

Using the directions for the burger formerly known as UB, do everything the same EXCEPT, replace the buffalo with ground venison at a ratio of 2 parts beef to 1 part venison.

Yes, venison.  Deer.  Bambi.  That is of what I speak.

This will make you the ultimate burger.  I shit you not.  Now, if you can't get any venison (I happen to hunt, so I have a bunch in the freezer), the burger formerly known as UB is still damn tasty.  Most folks will be very impressed with that burger and you can even claim it is the UB.  However, you will know, in that dark place in your mind that you don't let out at parties, you will know that it isn't the UB.  Trust me, look for venison and try it, you won't be sorry...

No comments:

Post a Comment