30 April 2010

Vegetarian Shawarma (a.k.a. - The Curse of the Mujahideen)

Back in the day, when I was deployed in Saudi Arabia and Iraq, we would get these fantastic creations form street vendors, which were called Shawarma.  Let me tell you, after eating MREs for several weeks straight, you would eat almost anything that didn't come out of a brown plastic envelope.

Anyway, we called these things "Haji-Dogs" (yeah, I know, not very PC), since they were sold out of carts like hot dog vendors here use, and we loved them.

Fast forward to today.  I have done something which many would consider diabolical, or perhaps sacrilegious...  Nay, they might actually call it evil and declare a jihad on me for even having the thought of...  A vegetarian Shawarma.

That's right, you heard me right.  What's even worse?  It tastes really good.  Although, I will recommend that you don't go for the day after leftovers, as the tofu's texture gets a bit mushy.  Other than that, these are really good.

In the recipe below, I have reduced the amount of Tahini used to 1/2 a cup, as I found the original sauce to be too...  Tahini-y.  If you want more and amp it back up to a full cup, you will be adding 95 calories per serving (if you do less than the full cup, well, do the math).

Anyway, comments appreciated, enjoy the food, don't get involved in a land war in Asia...


No comments:

Post a Comment