06 May 2010

The Smoothie

Making smoothies was always kind of a pain in the ass, I thought.  Having the fresh fruit on-hand, putting it all together, blending, etc.  Granted, I was probably making it more of a production than I needed to, but still.

Then, last night, I had a hankering for a milkshake.  Not a smoothie, but an evil Culver's concrete mixer with Heath Bar (tm) mixed in.  To quell this craving, I decided to build a smoothie with some of the yogurt I had in the fridge and fruit we had...  Problem, we didn't have smoothie-appropriate fruit.

Then I remembered I had purchased some freeze-dried cans of fruit to try out from Honeyville Grain.  So, I  put some freeze-dried strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and pineapple with a bit of water, a single-serve container of organic yogurt (low fat), a few ounces of OJ and a handful of ice in the hand blender cup...  then blend.

To use modern terminology...  OMG!

So, I added up the calories and it was in the neighborhood of 350 for around 16 oz of smoothie.   Quite a few less than the milkshake (which comes in at over 1,100 calories in the same volume).  Plus the use of the freeze-dried fruit totally took the pain in the ass factor out of it.

On a side note, the freeze-dried fruit is pretty nice as a snack...

No comments:

Post a Comment