23 May 2010

Innovation is Cool, Adoption is Essential

This is a repost from my now-defunct corporate blog...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------


In the realm of product design and product management, we tend to talk a lot about innovation as a component of  “The Next Big Thing” from our engineering shops.  This is a good thing.  Without innovation, nobody would buy our stuff and we would all be out of work, which would be a bad thing.  So, while innovation is important, there is actually a component of product design that I don’t think people talk about enough…  Adoption.

Oh sure, in sales we always talk about selling more stuff, or getting more customers, but we are more concerned with the transactions themselves rather than with the adoption of our product.  I think it’s important to take a step back from the transactions and think about how people (and companies) adopt new products or technology.
To give us something to use as an example, let’s talk about my new shoes…

“Ummmmm, your shoes?,” you ask, suspiciously.

Yes, my shoes.  I am talking about them because they represent innovation from a technological sense and an adoption challenge as well.  I say this because I am talking about Vibram Fivefingers shoes:

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_footwear.cfm
Basically, they are a pair of toe socks with a really thin rubber sole.  From a technological standpoint, they are pretty incredible.  They mold to your feet and actually transfer the nuances of the ground to sole, so you actually feel what you are walking or running on.  Wearing them is like going barefoot after a few steps as you don’t feel any weight and you have that sensitivity.  Finally, they allow your legs to absorb impact, as they were designed to do.

So, from a technology perspective, pretty cool stuff.  Innovative, even.

Which leaves one to wonder why there is an adoption challenge.

Well, the challenges I had to overcome before I was willing to try them were pretty clear:

1)  Will they feel weird?
2)  Man, they look dorky.
3)  Will they fit?  [I wear a size 14]
4)  Cost

Of the four primary challenges, cost weighed in pretty heavily.  List price on the version I wanted was $85, which is a lot for an untested (by me) technology.  However, I have dropped more money on stuff I was less sure of in the past, so I was able to get around that, plus, I had a 20% off coupon.

To address the “feel”, I went online and read user reviews, the majority of which were very positive.  I then went over the sizing chart multiple times and decided I had a decent chance that they would fit.

Which leaves one challenge.  The dorky factor.  Oh, it is totally there.  These things are goofy looking but I am goofy looking too.  So, it all balances out (not that my wife agrees with me).

So, what happened here?  Well, I went through the standard buying process that we go through for every purchase, be it technology or a new pair of jeans.  I identified the challenges, I researched my options and I came to a buying decision without the involvement of a single sales person, might I add.  However, have I adopted the technology?

Not yet.  I own the technology, but I am still deciding if I will be doing my daily regimen utilizing the technology.  So, how can the manufacturer or reseller help me in my adoption of the technology so that they have a customer for life?  That’s easy, follow-up.  Unfortunately, I will lay odds it will not happen.

So, let’s imagine that a week from now, I were to get a call, email, facebook posting or a mention on twitter from Vibram (the manufacturer) or REI (the reseller) asking me how I like the shoes.  They could offer suggestions as to different adoption techniques, they could offer a discount on a second pair or they could invite me to provide feedback to make changes to future versions.  This would make me a happier customer and would incite me to keep working with the product in my daily life.  It would enable them to engage me in conversation on a personal level...

What if I hated them?  Could you imagine my loyalty and willingness to try again if they took them back and refunded my money (or offered me their value against another pair of shoes at REI)?  I would be a total fanboy and I would certainly recommend them to friends.  Even though I didn’t adopt the technology, I wouldn’t reject it out of hand if the opportunity arose again.

So, we must continue to think about innovation, we must continue to think of sales, but shouldn’t we also, and just as importantly, think about the adoption of our products?  This is where we will see real innovation in our businesses and I think we will be able to accomplish it through the leveraging of our existing communications channels to better drive adoption.

Just something to think about.  I will now put on my dorky shoes and take the dog for a walk (I can tell he is embarrassed to be seen with me).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment